Who would have thought that the very cure to heartburn lies right in your pantry? That’s right, mustard for heartburn is indeed a common practice!
Heartburn is characterized by tightness or a burning sensation in the chest area, caused by acid reflux.
Ironically, heartburn has got nothing to do with the heart. It is basically when something goes wrong during digestion and causes stomach acid to retract into the gullet.
While taking in mustard can make you grimace, it is a necessary evil that will make you smile afterwards. Here’s why you must try mustard for acid reflux and how it helps:
1. Mustard is an alkaline food. Therefore, it helps to balance out the pH level of your stomach and bring down the acidic effects caused by reflux.
2. Ironically, mustard also contains a type of weak acid (vinegar) that helps balance out acid levels in the stomach. Heartburn can sometimes be due to the deficiency of digestive acids. This encourages the body receptors to produce more and can lead to an excessive amount. Utilizing mustard for heartburn can therefore, prevent the receptors from producing too much strong acid.
3. Moreover, vinegar also acts as a strong stimulant of saliva, which can speed up the digestive process and prevent any reflux from happening.
4. Speaking of digestion, did you know that mustard contains a huge variety of minerals? Mustards are a good source of magnesium, iron, calcium, omega-3 fatty acids and zinc – All of which aids for better digestion.
4 Ways to Take Mustard for Heartburn
If you’re feeling brave, just take a spoonful straight after meals. Otherwise, here are four other great ways where you can make the experience a more pleasant one:
Include them in your meals
Mustard goes well with a variety of foods such as hotdogs and sandwiches. Now you have a reason to get in more of those mouth-watering hotdogs!
Mustard with Buttermilk
Most people find it hard to swallow mustard with water. Instead, try adding 2 to 3 teaspoons of mustard into a cup of buttermilk. You may also add in a pinch of salt and some chopped cilantro to bring out the flavors.
Mustard with Honey
Honey is the best concealer for all kinds of treatment. Simply add about 2 teaspoons of mustard into warm water and finish off with 1 teaspoon of honey. Stir the mixture well and drink up.
Here’s a little treat:
- Add 1 tbsp. of tea leaves into 2 glasses of boiling water
- Let it diffuse and add 2 teaspoons of mustard powder,
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- And ½ teaspoon of shredded ginger
- Continue to boil the mixture and then strain
- Add honey and milk (optional)
There you have it, a nice cup of tea with plenty of good stuff!
While there are many other natural remedies for acid reflux, mustard is one that you should never look past. It has been proven to be one of the more effective treatment and with the various delicious options of having it, mustard is one that you must try the next time you get a reflux.